Benenden’s Music Department is found in one of the School’s most picturesque corners. It is physically linked to the School Hall, where most of the concerts and recitals take place, and is close to the Chapel where the musicians often seek to take advantage of the excellent acoustics.
The current provision is highly regarded – there are numerous practice, teaching and rehearsals rooms, the range of pianos and other instruments is outstanding and the IT Suite has recently been upgraded to the latest iMac models.
The School’s commitment to Music is very much in evidence through the Centenary Vision programme. Planning and fundraising are well under way for the building of a stunning new Music complex comprising a new concert hall as well as a new Music School.
This major investment by the School points to a hugely exciting future for the School’s musicians, creating facilities which will be unrivalled in the South East and amongst Girls’ Boarding Schools.
Full Time Music Staff
- Mr E Whiting, MA (Oxon), ARCO (Director of Music)
- Mr J Fitzgerald, BA (Bristol) (Assistant Director of Music)
- Mrs S Lamberton, BA (Wales) (Music Teacher/Music Technology/Theory)
- Mrs V Lewis, ARCM, (Piano/Cello), DipRCM Perf. (School Accompanist, Piano/Cello)
- Mrs J Crouch (Music Administrator)
Visiting Music Staff
- Mr S Chapman, ALCM, LLCMTO, TD (Guitar/Guitar Ensembles)
- Ms A Coatesworth, BA, MA (Piano)
- Ms C Considine, MMus (Perf) (RNCM), PGDip, B.Mus (Singing/Folk Groups)
- Mr A Ellingworth, (Military School of Music, Knellerhall) (Clarinet/Saxophone)
- Mrs K Fish, LTCL, Dip TCL (Clarinet/Saxophone/Director of Saxophone Ensemble)
- Ms S Graham, GRSM, LRAM, DipRAM (Singing/Sight-Singing)
- Mr M D Hines, AGSM (Bassoon/Piano/HFYO Orchestral Manager and Wind Tutor)
- Ms E Lovegrove, BMus (RCM) (Trumpet/Director of Brass Ensemble)
- Mr D M Manente, BMus, PGDip (Violin/Viola)
- Mrs H Manente, BMus, MMus (RCM) (Flute)
- Mrs G A Mendes, GDipM (Huddersfield), PGCE (Goldsmiths), GHSM, LTCL (Recorder)
- Ms S Pattinson, BMus (Royal Holloway, University of London) (HFYO Strings Tutor)
- Mrs L Pont, LTCL, MA (Music therapy) (Singing)
- Mrs S Purton, LRAM (Oboe/Piano)
- Ms H Ramsay, BMus (Glasgow) PGCert (GSMD) (Piano)
- Mr J Raper, BMus (Trinity College) (Percussion)
- Ms E J Roberts, GRNCM, PPRNCM, PDOT(GSMD) (Brass)
- Ms I Sellschop, LRAM (HFYO Strings Tutor)
- Mr R J Smith, (Violin/HFYO Strings Tutor/Director of String Ensembles)
- Mrs J M Tilt, GGSM LRAM (Singing)
- Mr M Williams, BMus (Dunelm) GRSM, HonLCM, FRCO, ARCM (Piano/Organ)
- Ms A Wynne, BA (Birmingham), MMus (Leeds) (Harp)