Assessments and interviews will take place at Benenden School on Tuesday 24 January, Wednesday 25 January and Thursday 26 January 2017. Benenden offers Scholarships to girls who show exceptional promise and commitment in any one of these areas, supported by good academic results in the normal entry papers.
Applicants will be asked to produce evidence of three kinds: a record or portfolio of previous work or achievements; a response to a challenge set at Benenden; and/or an interview.
Successful applicants will be given additional opportunities to explore their talents and extend their skills and will be expected to offer an example and to be an inspiration to others.
Examples of challenges which may be set:
Drama: (Tuesday 24 January 2017)
Candidates will be expected to perform one monologue and they may make use of a necessary prop. Candidates will sit a short written paper, answering two questions. There will also be an interview with the Director of Drama, a sight reading test and a short unprepared group acting piece.
Art & Design: (Wednesday 25 January 2017)
- An electronic portfolio of work for inspection. Content is not prescribed but should enable us to ascertain standards of work, capability in independent study and enthusiasm for the subject. The portfolio should be supplied as a PowerPoint or Jpeg images on a CD-ROM, or a memory stick. Each image should be labelled with date of completion, media and size.
- A set piece of work to be undertaken on the day of the interview/assessment, but to be prepared in advance (without assistance)
- A brief report from the applicant's Art teacher
- Following work on the set piece, short-listed candidates will be interviewed by the Head of Art and should bring with them some items from their portfolio.
Design & Technology: (Wednesday 25 January 2017)
Candidates will be asked to identify and research the main purposes of packaging and to design and make a suitable container for a given object. They will use non-specialist materials and processes such as paper, pencils, card, scissors, glue. Research might be prepared at home or in their school but the task of designing and making would be executed at Benenden.
Sports: (Thursday 26 January 2017)
- A test to measure levels of fitness.
- A range of games to show physical ability and tactical awareness.
- An opportunity to demonstrate the candidate's chosen specialism.