Enrichment Programme

As well as achieving the best possible grades in their subjects, we encourage all of our students to become resourceful, resilient, reflective, responsible and collaborative learners, able to make connections between their subjects and judiciously apply what they have learnt. This is consciously encouraged through lessons but also through the learning opportunities beyond the classroom.

Enrichment takes place in a variety of cross-curricular ventures, including:

Our Experts in Residence programme, with a visiting writer, poet, artist and foreign language theatre companies; trips and events, which are organised by departments throughout the year to supplement the curriculum, including trips to museums, the theatre, landmarks, fieldwork centres, exhibitions and lectures, places of worship or competitions; clubs and activities, many of which are run by the students themselves; and post GCSE and AS programmes which encourage research and collaborative learning and prepares the students for the following year.

The Academic Extension programme explores and develops ideas of good citizenship with a global perspective. Our aim is to encourage the girls to understand themselves better, consider the way they study, be open-minded about alternatives and appreciate how their actions impact upon others, both locally and globally. The students benefit from the following:

• Careers and Higher Education
  • Critical Thinking
  • Debating
  • Interview Training
  • Law
  • Model United Nations
  • Psychology
  • Thinking Skills Tutorials

Spiritual, moral, social and cultural education is integral to our academic provision. We promote the importance of these aspects of our pupils’ educational development through the curriculum. 

Extended Project Qualification

Universities tell us that the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) Level 3 is an excellent preparation for undergraduate study as it gives real evidence of independent, critical thinking. It is a stand-alone qualification, an extension from studies, which enthuses students by offering the opportunity for open debate and research on their own topic. Students from the Fifth Form can opt to take the EPQ, alongside their GCSE or A Level studies and will be taught skills such as researching effectively or time management. It is essential that students work independently, but have a supervisor who assesses their progress. It focuses on

• A solid and coherent grounding in a specialist topic
  • An ability to undertake independent and self-directed learning
  • The ability to think laterally, critically and creatively
  • Problem solving
  • Reflective learning
  • Self-management
  • The development, presentation and communication of information
  • The delivery of a presentation to an audience

Examples of EPQ projects undertake at Benenden include: The Downfall of the Achaemenid Empire; Ovid’s influence on Titian as a painter; Art and Catastrophe; and An Abstract View of London.